215 - Canadian Association for the Study of Discourse and Writing (CASDW)
The Canadian Association for Studies in Discourse and Writing (CASDW-ACR) is a welcoming group of researchers and teachers who engage with all topics related to writing studies and discourse studies. We are inspired by the Congress 2023 theme, with its call to consider possibilities for responsible, non-hierarchical relationships within our societies and with our environment. And we recall recent discussions in our scholarly community about the futures of writing studies in Canada. Our conference will consider questions like these:
• How do we reconcile divergent emphases or conflicting priorities in the theories we draw on, the discourses we study, the student needs we address?
• How do the discourses we study reckon with present or historical social and environmental responsibilities?
• How do professionals and student writers position themselves within conflicted territories?
• How do our writing practices re-imagine scholarship in and/or across our disciplines?
• How should writing studies and writing instruction in Canada reckon and re-imagine its responsibilities
- to Indigenous discourses and ways of knowing;
- to the linguistic, racial, and cultural diversity of our communities;
- to the environment we depend on;
- to writers, thinkers, and learners who are neurodivergent or living with disabilities?