Small yet mighty
Don’t be fooled by our size; our team of professionals wields considerable clout across Canada and in the nation’s capital, and we’re always looking for new talent.
If you think you have the right stuff, come back to this page frequently and check out the latest full-time, part-time, and contract opportunities here. We also accept resumes, for future consideration, on an ongoing basis.
Submit your resume and cover letter at https://secure.collage.co/jobs/fhss/19297.
Do not submit your application by email, but if you have any questions, feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research and teaching for the advancement of an inclusive, democratic and prosperous society. With a membership now comprising over 160 universities, colleges and scholarly associations, the Federation represents a diverse community of 91,000 researchers and graduate students across Canada.
We have an opening for three (3) short-term Virtual Project Liaison Leads positions, to support the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences’ member scholarly associations in preparation for the 2023 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences. One of the positions requires fluency in French and English. The annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is the convergence of over 70 scholarly associations, each holding their annual conference under one umbrella, and is Canada’s largest gathering of scholars. Typically held in late May and early June, Congress is organized by the Federation each year. Congress 2023 will be held May 17 to June 2, 2023. For more information, visit www.federationhss.ca and www.federationhss.ca/congress
Summary As Virtual Project Liaisons, you will play a key role in contributing to the success of the remote participation events at Congress 2023. Working closely with the Federation’s Events team, under the leadership of the Director, Congress and Events, you will assist the scholarly associations and other stakeholders in preparing and uploading content into the virtual event platform. You are technologically savvy, are familiar with the academic milieu within which the Federation operates, and have an understanding of how conferences and events are organized. You will be paid $22/hour. You shall be eligible to receive a bonus of $1.00 per hour worked if you honour your contract until the stipulated end date. Your contract is anticipated to run from January 2023 to June 9, 2023 under the following terms:
- From your start date to February 17, 2023, you will work approximately 20 to 25 hours per week.
- From February 20 to May 5, 2023, you will work approximately 35 hours per week. An additional 5 to 15 hours per week (i.e. 40 to 50 hour workweeks) may be worked, subject to prior approval from the Director, Congress and Events, on an as needed basis especially in the few weeks leading up to Congress.
- From May 25 to June 2, 2023 (during Congress), you will be scheduled to cover shifts each day, including evenings and weekends. Shifts may be between 3 and 12 hours long, but usually around 8 hours. There may be split shifts, half-days, and a day off, depending on business requirements.
- From June 5 to 9, 2022, you will work between 20 and 35 hours.
- You will be paid for the February 20, April 7, and May 22, 2023 statutory holidays.
- Your work schedule should be flexible to accommodate virtual meeting times with the Federation’s Events team in Ottawa (Eastern time zone), and with volunteers from our member associations across Canada during business hours and after hours.
Work location For most of the duration of the contract, you will work remotely. You are expected to use your own work space, computer (Microsoft Office required), monitors, a stable and secure internet connection and telephone. The Federation will provide any additional software that may be required, such as Zoom or other online collaboration tools. During the period of May 25 to June 2, 2023, you will be joining the Federation Team on the campus of York University, in Toronto, and will work scheduled shifts at the congress Command Centre. The requirement to work onsite is subject to any and all COVID-19 protocols that may be in place at the time, from federal, provincial, or municipal authorities, and from the Federation.
What you will do As a Virtual Project Liaison, you will: Participate in weekly operational meetings with the Federation events team Communicate regularly with other Virtual Project liaisons Participate periodically in weekly platform vendor meetings Work collaboratively with the Congress and Events team, and with member associations, sponsors, exhibitors, and partners to support the delivery of the remote participation events for Congress 2023. Liaise with key contacts at member associations regarding their tasks and deliverables to ensure items are being completed in a timely manner. Conduct virtual orientation sessions for member associations on the information required for their area of the virtual event platform. Support member associations with their conference programs by assisting with ensuring all remote participation and on-demand recordings are uploaded to the virtual event platform. Support speakers with uploading their recordings, and provide limited technical support in the preparation of the recordings. Conduct virtual rehearsals prior to the event, with both general sessions for all speakers, and special rehearsals for keynote speakers and important events on an ad hoc basis. Make presentations regarding the virtual event platform to the associations’ conference committees or board of directors, as needed. During Congress, liaise with Event Technicians, member associations, speakers, and moderators to ensure the smooth delivery of the remote participation events. After Congress, prepare reports with usage and online participation statistics for each association.
Other tasks, as required.
What you need
- Two years' experience working in an office in an administrative, IT help desk, events, or other related position.
- Experience in customer service and support
- Advanced software skills including word processing, spreadsheets, slide presentations, database management, email and scheduling.
- Experience with member, client or stakeholder relations at a university or not-for-profit organization is an asset.
- Experience working with audiovisual equipment, producing audiovisual recordings, and/or providing advanced support for online video conferencing is an asset.
- Experience in organizing academic conferences and/or virtual events is an asset.
- Experience managing content and events on a website and in online event management software is an asset.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English are required for both positions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in French are required for at least one of the positions.
- What you bring
- Ability to work under pressure, meet competing deadlines, and adapt easily.
- A detail-oriented mind, with a strong focus on organization, planning, follow-up.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with multiple team members and stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurship, initiative, creativity and a proactive attitude.
- Clarity of expression — both in writing and orally.
- A sense of ownership of tasks and the motivation to follow through to achieve personal and team goals.
- Comfortable working in a virtual office environment.
- Comfortable working with a wide variety of technologies/software.
- A good sense of humor.
If this position intrigues you and relates to your experience, then we want to hear from you. Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter, and why this opportunity is a good fit for you. The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. We are seeking applications from employment equity groups including but not limited to: persons with disabilities, and Black, Indigenous and/or persons of colour. You must be legally allowed to work in Canada in order to be eligible for this position. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged. Those selected for an interview will be contacted directly. The posting will remain active on our website until our search process is complete. Please contact us in confidence and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity. Please submit your cover letter and résumé, by January 23, 2023, at https://secure.collage.co/jobs/fhss/35022
For any questions or to request accommodations, please email us at email@example.com.