Dean, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Annie Pilote has been a professor in the Faculty of Education at Université Laval since 2006. As an education sociologist, she is interested in social and educational inequalities from a perspective of equity and inclusion. She has conducted research on the linguistic identity of youth from minority official language communities in Canada (Francophones and Anglophones in New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta). Her more recent work has focused on the academic path and experience of students from immigrant backgrounds, racialized groups and indigenous communities, looking to identify the levers they need to overcome the obstacles to access and success in higher education. Her teachings address education in cross-cultural environments, the sociology of student orientation, critical teaching and qualitative research. She has published three books and some 60 scientific papers and chapters in scholarly works.
- I currently serve as dean at Université Laval's Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies since January 2023.
- I have nine years of experience as assistant dean for research, graduate and international studies with the Faculty of Education. In addition to strategic and operational roles, I chair several boards and committees and participate in various institutional bodies. I have served several acting terms as a program and department director.
- Member of Acfas's Comité pancanadien de la recherche en français
- Coordinator of the 5th Colloque sur la persévérance et la réussite scolaire chez les Premiers Peuples
- Director of customized graduate programs at Université Laval
- Director of the specialized training program for French-language teaching in a minority setting
- Board member of Université Laval's Centre de recherche et d'intervention sur la réussite scolaire
- Board member of Sainte-Foy Cégep, Québec
- Presiding member of the Centre de transfert pour la réussite éducative du Québec's Social and Academic Diversity Consensus Conference
- Board chair, Centre de la petite enfance Le Pandore
- Board member, Sillery District Council, Québec City
National and international affiliations:
- Member of the SSHRC Leaders network – Université Laval representative
- Member of the youth sociology research committee (CR28) of the Association internationale des sociologues de langue française (international French-speaking sociologists association)
- Member of the professorial team at the Master International Francophone en Education et Formation, Université de Rouen and Université Lyon 2, France
- Regional lead for Quebec, National Centre for Collaboration in Indigenous Education, First Nations University, Regina
- Member of the scientific committee of the Observatoire Jeunes et Société and the editorial committee of the Revue Jeunes et Société (youth and society observation and review) of the Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS – national scientific research institute)
- Various collaborative initiatives as an expert for the Official Languages Branch of Canadian Heritage
- Visiting professor at the École doctorale francophone en Sciences Sociales (French-language doctorate school in social science), University of Bucharest, Romania
- Visiting scholar at the Institut français de l’Education, Lyon, France
- Member of the Centre de recherche et d’intervention sur l’éducation et la vie au travail (education and work life research and education centre)
- Member of the Interuniversity Centre for Aboriginal Studies and Research (CIÉRA)